CALL TO BOOK YOUR REFLEXOLOGY APPOINTMENT:
Send us your details and we will contact you:
What is Reflexology?
Reflexology is a gentle form of natural healing that involves treatment by massage to the reflex areas that are found in the feet. It is a holistic treatment based on the feet, hands and ears that map via the nervous system to corresponding parts of the body.
Sometimes the body is in a state of imbalance following illness or injury, disease or stress, preventing the body from functioning effectively. The use of precision pressure movements over specific points allows the whole body to heal and relax, restoring and maintaining the body’s natural equilibrium and encouraging greater health.
How long will it take for Reflexology to work?
The number of sessions will vary according to the patient and the condition. Well-established disorders will take longer to treat, but you would generally see a result after 4 treatments for short-term conditions. A course of treatments is recommended for all conditions to balance the body and prevent a recurrence of a problem. The efficacy of the treatments is influenced by the frequency and the ability of a patient to make lifestyle changes which are recommended by the therapist. Generally treatments are given once or twice a week and once there is an improvement, the treatments are spaced out to fortnightly and then to monthly maintenance sessions.
What to expect during a Reflexology treatment.
A reflexology session will generally last about an hour. At the first consultation, the reflexologist will discuss your general health and gather personal information such as sleep patterns, energy levels, allergies or intolerances, medical operations, family history of illnesses, diet, relaxation and exercise. All this information is used to gather a comprehensive overview of your health in order to allow for a specific individualised treatment plan and serves as a base against which the efficacy of the treatment plan can be measured. While all treatments include stimulation of the 9 systems of the body and all corresponding organs, specific areas will be reworked according the ailments and history presented.
Initially, your feet are cleaned with a disinfectant and then various stretching and relaxation techniques are used on the feet to release tension.
The reflexologist will then stimulate the reflex areas on both feet. During a session, the treatment will mostly be very calming and comforting and the patient has a general feeling of well-being. The treatment is then reinforced by working the same specific reflexes present on the palms of the hands. The hands contain the same reflexes as the feet. In the event that the feet cannot be worked, the hands provide the same effective platform for this practice.
Unit 5 Falcon Street Sandton Country Club Estate,
222 Bowling Ave,
Why book your Reflexology with Ruth Sacks?
My name is Ruth Sacks and I am a registered practicing Therapeutic Reflexologist. I am fully accredited under Allied health, The TRNA, ITEC and the Board of Healthcare Funders of South Africa.
A question I am asked by majority of my patients, ‘How did you become interested in Reflexology?’ I feel it is important to understand my journey in order to understand my passion and belief in this remarkable practice.
Unfortunately, after years of moving between different medications to treat a number of specific illnesses, I found myself feeling frustrated and disappointed in western medication and practice as a whole. I found myself moving between different specialists all of whom had different medications for me to try with no real reasoning and genuine diagnosis as to why my body was not working the way it was designed to do so. Having moved between specialists, I was told the last resort was exploratory surgery. For me personally, this was just not an option. I began to look past what the conventional avenues of health care and opened my mind up to the alternative methods of treatment. It was at this stage when I became educated in the benefits of Reflexology. My story is a very happy one that led me to the road I am on now. Reflexology balanced my body and taught my systems to work effectively. No medication, no surgery! And just like that my passion and curiosity was born. I am grateful that I now sit on the other end of the table as a Practitioner, once again giving hope and effective healing to my patients. I am passionate and truly in awe of the bodies own ability to regulate and heal itself. It’s an honour to be able to help people through this unique medium!
Why try Reflexology?
- Digestive orders
- Sleep disorders
- Hormonal imbalances
- Menstrual disorders
- Back pain
- Kidney function
- Cardiovascular disease
- Acute and chronic condition
- Pain relief
- Immune system strengthening
- Improving nerve and blood supply function
- Balancing the whole system (homeostasis)
- Revitalizing energy
- Activating the body to cleanse toxins and impurities
- Preventative therapy
- Improved circulation
- Assists with healthy full term pregnancy
Reflexology Benefits for Fertility and Children
Reflexology for fertility, can help to improve a person’s fertility by positively directing the flow of energy where it is needed. Reflexology involves manipulating pressure points in the feet or hands in order to positively affect a corresponding area of the body. In essence, energy pathways are unblocked, allowing the energy to flow as it should.
There are points on the feet corresponding with the reproductive system in the body, and by manipulating these; the imbalances that can lead to problems conceiving can be corrected.
If you’re trying to conceive naturally, fertility reflexology can help to:
- Regulate your menstrual cycle (particularly important when you are trying to conceive if you have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) or Endometriosis
- Work your endocrine system (balancing hormones)
- Stimulate ovulation (by working reflexes associated with the ovaries and Fallopian tubes)
- Remove toxins (by targeting reflexes of the liver and large intestine)
- Support healthy mucous membranes (through lymphatic system stimulation)
- Assist with painful periods (by targeting the spine and lower back reflexes)
- Provide emotional support and well being
- Give you a well-deserved break from the worry and stress of infertility (providing an ideal environment for conception)
- Holistically support women undergoing IVF
Working alongside your medical programme reflexology works well in conjunction with the IVF process to support at the appropriate stages.
Hormone levels are controlled and manipulated through specific medications. Reflexology helps in three important aspects to assist and support the IVF process.
- Stimulation of the pituatary gland supports the bodies ability to balance the necessary hormones for ovulation to take place.
- The ovaries are stimmulated during the egg retrieval phase to ensure that egg maturation takes place. Reflexology has been highly effective in increasing the number of eggs that become optimal for extraction.
- Once the egg retrieval has been performed, the reflexology treatment becomes further modified to increase blood flow, verve supply and the correct PH balance to the uterus, enhansing an optimal environment for implantation to occur.
The liver is worked to metabolise the medication, as well as counter act some of the negative side effects associated with the fertility medications.
Thyroid levels are balanced and stimmulated as this plays a large role in homeostasis of the body and the reproductive system as a whole.
Kidneys are worked to increase vitslity and an over all feeling of health and vitality.
Following implantation the body should now be ready to carry out the necessary processed to maintain implantation on its own. Treatments should be resumed once the pregnancy has been conifrmed.
While pregnant, it is important for you to be to look after your health, regulate your stress levels and nourish your body as your baby grows.
During pregnancy, a reflexologist can assist with:
- Poor circulation
- Stress and anxiety
- Fatigue and energy levels
- Nausea and morning sickness
- Heartburn and acid reflux
- Emotional disturbances and mood swings
- Fluid retention
- Back and hip pain
Studies have shown that women who have regular reflexology treatments during pregnancy have shorter labours than those who don’t.
Reflexology is a gentle form of natural healing that involves treatment by massage to the reflex areas that are found in the feet. Reflexologists believe that by treating the feet, we are helping to relieve many common ailments that occur in babies and children, such as:
- Hyper-active children
- Teething for babies
- Re-occurring infections
- Poor feeding sessions for babies
- Headaches & earaches
- Asthma & hay fever
- Coughs, colds and respiratory complaints
- Skin complaints (eczema, acne & dermatitis)
- Aiding sleep and relaxation
Reflexology can benefit everyone, from children to adults. It is a gentle, non invasive therapy that encourages the body to balance and heal itself.
Reflexology has been shown to help with the following:
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Reduce insomnia and improve sleep patterns, OCD
- Reduce IBS/digestive issues
- Calm hyperactivity
- Improve hypersensitivity to touch and sound
- Help capacity to learn by improving attention span and concentration
- Increased appetite and nutrient absorption